So you have got a terrific concept for a brand new enterprise. You’re excited to get began and make your mark on the world. However earlier than you do something, it’s necessary to verify that there’s a demand to your providing available in the market.
The least glamorous however most necessary a part of beginning a profitable enterprise is figuring out whether or not your concept truly solves an actual downside for individuals. This course of is called discovering a problem-solution match.
On this article, we’ll check out what problem-solution match means, why it’s so necessary to the success of your new enterprise, and obtain it.
What Is Drawback-Answer Match?
Drawback-solution match is a time period used to explain the purpose validating that the bottom downside leading to a enterprise concept actually exists and the proposed resolution truly solves that downside.
The issue-solution match is when you-
- Validate that the issue exists: While you validate your downside speculation utilizing real-world information and suggestions. That’s, you collect data from actual customers to find out whether or not or not they care concerning the ache level you’re attempting to resolve.
- Validate that your resolution solves the issue: While you validate that the audience appreciates the worth your resolution delivers to them.
The issue-solution match precedes the product improvement and kinds the inspiration upon which an organization is constructed. It helps you reply the fundamentals startup-related questions earlier than you even begin your startup.
- Do individuals even have the issue that you simply suppose they’ve?
- How do they remedy the issue now?
- Does your proposed resolution make a significant distinction?
When you’re glad with the solutions, you utilize this resolution to develop a saleable product and begin buying clients.
Why Attaining A Drawback Answer Match Vital?
Attaining problem-solution match is crucial to the success of any new enterprise.
As a result of with out it, you’re basically simply guessing that your concept goes to work. And if you wish to achieve success, you want greater than only a guess.
The issue resolution suits assist you-
- Get a greater understanding of your goal market: It helps you establish your goal clients, who they’re and what issues to them probably the most.
- Get a greater understanding of the client duties and ache factors: Solely after stepping into the sneakers of the shoppers do you realise their actual duties and the issues that hinder their progress in finishing the duties.
- Get a greater understanding of present options and what they lack: It helps you perceive what gaps exist available in the market and the way what you are promoting can fill these gaps.
- Construct an answer primarily based on actual information: It offers you the data you must construct an answer that customers truly need, fairly than guessing their wants.
When Ought to You Look For A Drawback-Answer Match?
Ideally, you need to obtain a problem-solution match earlier than you begin working in your product. This manner, you might be assured that you simply’re fixing an actual downside that folks truly care about. In any other case, you threat constructing one thing that nobody needs or wants.
This problem-solution match kinds the idea to your total enterprise. Out of your product improvement to your advertising and marketing and gross sales efforts, every part needs to be centered on fixing the issue that you simply’ve recognized.
How To Obtain Drawback-Answer Match?
The important thing to attaining a problem-solution match lies in figuring out the appropriate individuals to speak to, gathering information from them, after which analysing the outcomes.
That is simpler stated than finished, in fact. However this may be finished by following two easy steps –
Develop A Buyer Profile
The buyer profile part lets you perceive your audience in larger element. This course of provides you with solutions to crucial customer-related questions that may take you nearer to your providing –
- Who’re they? (Persona)
- What jobs do they should get finished? (Jobs-to-be-done)
- What issues do they face whereas doing the job? (Ache factors)
- What do they achieve by finishing the job? (Desired Outcomes)
The Buyer Persona
Making a buyer persona helps you perceive your audience higher. It consists of data like –
- Demographics: Age, gender, location, schooling, job title
- Psychographics: Way of life, values, pursuits, attitudes
- Behavioural patterns: Shopping for habits, on-line behaviour, communication preferences
Take into account your buyer’s job-to-be-done as the rationale why they want your resolution.
For instance, think about that your goal buyer is a busy skilled who needs to extend their productiveness. This “job” would possibly embrace managing their e-mail, calendars and social media accounts multi function place.
What are the challenges and frustrations your goal clients expertise whereas finishing the job?
For instance, busy professionals would possibly discover it troublesome to maintain monitor of their completely different accounts and really feel continually bombarded with notifications.
What are the specified outcomes or outcomes your buyer hopes to realize by finishing the job?
For instance, they need to have the ability to rapidly discover the data they want, and minimise interruptions.
Conduct Buyer Interviews
The shopper profile ends in a speculation about the issue your goal clients face.
You might want to speak to precise individuals who match your persona to validate this speculation. That is finished by conducting buyer interviews, and its purpose is to gather qualitative and quantitative information that may enable you to higher perceive your customers’ wants.
Drawback interviews are sometimes exploratory in nature. These are unstructured interviews through which you ask open-ended questions to raised perceive the issue.
Take this state of affairs, for instance –
You’re constructing a productiveness app for busy professionals.
Your earlier hypotheses urged that the first problem your clients face is managing their e-mail, calendars and social media accounts multi function place.
To confirm this speculation, you conduct exploratory interviews with a small group of customers the place you ask questions like – “Inform me concerning the largest challenges you face at work”, and “How do you presently handle your e-mail, calendar and social media accounts?”.
From the responses, you slender down on the ache factors and begin to type a clearer image of the issue.
This suggestions helps you validate (or invalidate) your earlier assumptions and makes it simpler to develop an answer that meets the wants of your goal clients.
Develop A Options Profile
The options profile describes the answer you propose to supply that addresses your clients’ desired outcomes. It outcomes out of your buyer interviews and needs to be primarily based on precise suggestions, not assumptions.
You develop a options profile by answering:
- How do you assist the client get their job finished?
- How do you tackle and remedy their ache factors?
- What are the specified outcomes for the client?
A options profile would possibly look one thing like this:
Our productiveness app helps busy professionals handle their e-mail, calendar and social media accounts multi function place. It affords a unified inbox that exhibits all of your messages from completely different accounts in a single place, and lets you change between them with only a few faucets rapidly. Moreover, it features a centralised calendar that permits you to schedule conferences and appointments with out having to change between a number of apps. And eventually, we offer instruments for managing your social media accounts so that you by no means miss an necessary replace once more!
Conduct Affirmation Interviews
Your resolution profile is predicated in your buyer interviews, but it surely’s necessary to validate your problem-solution match with precise customers earlier than you begin constructing something. That is finished utilizing affirmation interviews.
Affirmation interviews are structured with a concentrate on testing the proposed resolution. In these interviews, you concentrate on verifying the findings of your exploratory interviews together with the proposed resolution.
That is finished by asking extra particular however open-ended questions like – “How would you are feeling if you happen to had a unified inbox for all of your e-mail accounts?”, “What could be the most important profit of getting a centralised calendar?”.
The purpose of affirmation interviews is to not get detailed suggestions on the proposed resolution, however to validate that the answer solves the issue in a means that’s precious to the client.
Drawback-Answer Match Examples
Each profitable firm right this moment began with a problem-solution match. Listed below are a number of examples:
- Airbnb solved the issue of discovering reasonably priced lodging by connecting individuals who want a spot to stick with those that have an additional room.
- Uber solved the issue of getting a cab by creating an on-demand ridesharing platform that connects drivers with riders.
- Spotify solved the music artist’s downside of getting their music heard (with out piracy) by making a streaming platform that makes it straightforward for individuals to find and hearken to new music. On the similar time, it solved the music listener’s downside of getting to purchase total albums once they solely needed to pay attention to at least one or two songs.
- Google solved the issue of discovering related data on the web by making a search engine that makes use of algorithms to rank web sites primarily based on their relevance to the consumer’s question.
- Fb made it potential for individuals to attach with one another on a social platform, no matter distance or location. It solved the issue of maintaining in contact with household and pals by an easy-to-use on-line interface.
Drawback-Answer Match vs Product Market Match
Folks typically confuse the phrases “problem-solution match” and “product-market match“, however these are literally two very various things.
Whereas problem-solution match refers to validating that your resolution solves an issue to your goal market, product-market match is about validating that there’s precise demand to your services or products.
There are occasions when an organization solves an actual downside and develops resolution, however is just not capable of get traction as a result of their clients will not be keen to pay for it.
It’s the purpose validating that the conceptualised resolution solves an actual downside.
It’s the purpose validating that the conceptualised product has a requirement available in the market.
Ideation & conceptualisation
Attaining problem-solution match is a necessary a part of the startup journey. By taking the time to grasp the issue and growing an answer that meets the wants of your goal clients, you enhance your possibilities of success.
Furthermore, this strategy helps you keep away from constructing an answer that isn’t wanted, and that may by no means be used.
As a startup founder, it’s necessary to grasp that problem-solution match is a steady course of. You’ll at all times be studying and enhancing as you develop, and it’s at all times necessary to validate your findings with precise customers.
A startup advisor, digital marketer, traveller, and philomath. Aashish has labored with over 20 startups and efficiently helped them ideate, elevate cash, and succeed. When not working, he might be discovered climbing, tenting, and stargazing.