To get a roundup of TechCrunch’s largest and most necessary tales delivered to your inbox day-after-day at 3 p.m. PDT, subscribe right here.
Time to do the Friday dance! We’ve talked about our digital TC Periods: Robotics occasion a couple of occasions, however we’ve acquired some excellent news for occasions followers. Grasp on to your blockchains and sharpen these crypto wallets — we’re doing a TechCrunch Periods: Crypto in November as properly! Joyful weekend! See y’all on Monday. — Christine and Haje
The TechCrunch High 3
- Phrases imply all the things: Microsoft got here below fireplace just lately by builders because of the approach it worded a brand new coverage banning profiting off of open supply software program, and whereas the corporate clawed again that coverage, Paul supplies a have a look at what all this may imply.
- No snakes and frozen statues right here: Christine writes about Medusa’s $8 million seed spherical to tackle Shopify with its open supply e-commerce instrument for small companies to develop their enterprise past the fundamental API implementations offered by marketplaces.
- B-O-A-R-D: No, it’s not right this moment’s Wordle reply — we checked — however followers of the sport might be delighted to know that the favored guess-the-word pc sport is being became a board sport, Ivan writes.
Startups and VC
“We have now entered an unprecedented mixture of crypto winter and broad macroeconomic instability, and we have to put together the corporate for the potential of a chronic downturn,” OpenSea CEO Devin Finzer mentioned, as Lucas reviews.
The query bouncing round Alex’s thoughts this morning is why enterprise investments are slowing when a lot capital has been raised by VCs to speculate? (Examine it on TC+, our subscription product.)
NGL and Sendit’s apps are problematic, Sarah writes, as a result of they’ve been utilizing deceptive ways to trick their younger customers into considering they have been receiving engagement from pals after they weren’t.
Kick off the weekend by bopping alongside to this wildly darkish and weirdly threatening EDM monitor from Rüfüs Du Sol, as you skim the most effective of the remainder:
- Hello, is that Nothing? Brian simply posted his evaluate of the Nothing Cellphone (1), sharing that it’s “a refreshing change of tempo in a smartphone market that has misplaced a lot of its sense of enjoyable.”
- Hello, WYD: The race is on, with plenty of startups racing to construct a crypto-native, consumer-friendly messaging platforms for web3, reviews Connie.
- Shields up: Together with her new startup, Granitt, Runa Sandvik goals to assist at-risk folks, like journalists and activists but additionally politicians, legal professionals, refugees and human rights defenders, from threats they face doing their work, Zack reviews.
- You get a bank card, you get a bank card: Stori provides bank cards to underserved populations in Mexico. It has raised $50 million in fairness at a $1.2 billion valuation, writes Mary Ann.
- They’re actually going locations: Vektor Companions raises new $126 million fund to look particularly at sustainable mobility firms, reviews Mike.
- It’s the birds, and the bees, and the flowers, and the vee cees: Systemiq secures $70 million to fund early-stage local weather tech founders, reviews Harri.
Pivoting your startup in a bear market: Change into undeniably fundable
Each founder is trying to find methods to preserve money in the intervening time, however a laser give attention to saving cash as an alternative of making efficiencies will solely delay the inevitable.
In July 2022, traders is not going to again firms that may’t display proficiency in 5 primary KPIs, in line with Kraig Swensrud, founder and CEO of Certified.
“We’re not going again to the sugar excessive of the previous decade anytime quickly, however with integrity, robust management and operational effectivity, we cannot solely survive, however thrive.”
(TechCrunch+ is our membership program, which helps founders and startup groups get forward. You may enroll right here.)
Huge Tech Inc.
Brian writes that after testing out drone supply in California, Amazon is heading over to the Lone Star State — that’s Texas, y’all — to start delivering within the city of Faculty Station, the place Texas A&M College is situated. Now when Texans have a look at the sky, it type of offers a brand new which means to “the celebs at night time are huge and vivid.”
As one among our colleagues famous, TikTok wrote a relatively prolonged publish principally asserting that its chief safety officer stepped down from his place. Aisha reduces the information right down to a extra manageable size.
All you Apple Music subscribers on the market gained one other perk with Apple Music Periods, which supplies entry to audio recorded at Apple music studios all over the world. Nation stars Carrie Underwood and Tenille Townes have been the primary to present it a go, Lauren writes.
Natasha L gave us a great headline right this moment together with her story on a proposal by European lawmakers to make it simpler to share medical information throughout borders, however in a approach that can also be safe.
In case you missed it, our colleagues have been working arduous yesterday, and listed here are some late-day tales we don’t need you to overlook: